Back to Adventure X
Galloway Gallop Adventure X
Galloway Forest Park, Dumfries, Scotland, Sunday 21st September. Remote lochs & valleys, miles of wide open vistas, challenging multi surface forest roads, mildly mountaineous terrain and all under big skies makes this an Adventure Cross event that will take you places where most riders have never ventured before!
Price (per rider): £25.00
Price (per rider): £35.00
Galloway Gallop - Massif (£35, 67 miles), Mini Massif (£25, 42 miles)
A spectacular wilderness Adventure Cross journey in the vast wilds of the Galloway Forest Park in South West Scotland. It’s a fantastic course for a ‘cross bike, although a hard-tail mountain bike would be equally suitable, it takes you to places and offers views inaccessible by road.
Please note: this event is not open to riders under 16.
What’s included at the event:
- Fully signposted routes
- Finishing medal
- Event centre facilities
- Mechanical support
- Full route marking
- Rider public liability insurance
- Free energy drink + energy snacks
- Electronic chip timing
- Bike wash facilities
- Web results service
- Emergency support
- On site catering
Location: Kirroughtree MTB Centre, Galloway Forest Park, Dumfries, DG8 7BE
An early start is recommended for anyone doing the long distance ride.
Maps & Route info
CLICK HERE FOR GPX FILES: Massif & Mini Massif
Mini Massif profile
Technical Terrain 3 out of 5 on a Cross Bike
Wilderness Riding 5 out of 5
Our official partners
Terms & Conditions
The Terms and Conditions detailed below apply to all entrants participating in the Galloway Gallop Adventure X Sportive organised and operated by Rather be Cycling with IPC Media Limited (the publishers of Cycling Weekly). Completion of an entry form or purchase of an entry by every participant acknowledges acceptance of these Terms and Conditions by the participant.
Adventure X is a cross country journey by bike that incorporates a mixture of tracks, trails, lanes, bridleways & roads to create an interesting and challenging route over a variety of terrain and surfaces. The on / off road nature of Adventure X routes makes a Cyclo Cross bike the ideal choice but, equally, a mountain bike can also be used.
1. The participant accepts that the event they are entering is not a race in any format. Results will be published in alphabetical order only and anyone considered to be competing against others, will be stopped from riding and banned from entering future events.
2. The participant is fully responsible for their actions whilst attending the event. This includes the event centre and during the ride itself. IPC Media Ltd or Rather Be Cycling does not accept responsibility for the actions of the participant nor the consequences of such actions.
3. Each participant, upon signing the registration form, agrees that they are physically and mentally capable of riding the distance they have chosen. If, during the event, they decide to change their route and distance, then all consequences of this action are theirs.
4. Each participant, upon signing the registration form, agrees that they understand the on / off road style of the Adventure X event they are entering and furthermore understands the arduous nature of event, the terrain and style of riding. Furthermore each participant confirms that they are physically fit and capable of undertaking this challenging event.
5. The Event Registration Form must be completed by a person aged 18 years or over. Evidence of age may be requested. Participants under the age of 16-18 will be allowed to participate in the event with the consent of their parent or legal guardian who must sign the Event Registration Form on behalf of the underage rider. Signing is also an acceptance for the actions and consequences of the underage rider. 16-18 year olds need to be accompanied at all times by an adult who is responsible for them and are only permitted to ride the short route. This event is not open to riders under 16.
6. All riders are covered by third party insurance for the duration of the event. The cost of this is included in your entry fee. In addition Rather Be Cycling is covered for civil party liability.
7. It is mandatory that all riders wear a safety approved cycling helmet complying with latest EN1078, ANSI Z90/4 or SNELL standards. Any rider not wearing a helmet will not be covered by the event insurance and will be disqualified from the event and could be liable for damages if involved in an accident on that basis. The rider must accept this as a condition of entry. IPC Media Ltd & Rather Be Cycling reserve the right to refuse entry to the event to anyone with inappropriate equipment or clothing.
8. The participant confirms that the cycle/bike they are riding for the event and all of their equipment is of a suitable standard and state of trail/road worthiness. In particular, the ability to complete the longest distance, and over rough terrain dependant on the event. A standard road bike is NOT suitable for this event.
9. During the event there will be warning signs at appropriate points on the trails or roads used for this event. Absence of these signs does not signal there are no dangers approaching and it is the individual rider’s responsibility to make a decision regarding whether to ride a section or not. The marking of the route does not necessarily indicate that the trail or road is rideable and the participant is deemed to make their own decision about whether to proceed on bike, foot or not at all.
10. Any marked route is shown for guidance only and IPC Media Ltd & Rather Be Cycling do not insist that you use the route shown. Therefore, if the rider chooses to ride a section, it is entirely their own choice. If they choose a different route to avoid obstacles or sections they decide are beyond their capabilities or for any other reason, they do so entirely at their own risk.
11. You must obey all Highway Code rules. You are requested to ride in single file where appropriate and no more than 2 abreast at any time. Please be aware of your fellow cyclists and any other traffic. Please always indicate your intention to stop or change direction. All cyclists must adhere to and obey the Highway Code, local By laws and laws of England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland where applicable and extend all reasonable courtesy to other road and off road users.
12. Riders must be considerate to other users of bridleways, tracks, byways and public ways when riding off road. Upon seeing other users, such as horse riders, walkers, farm traffic, and other cyclists, etc. riders are required to slow down and pass with care. Where appropriate, riders should stop and wait at the side of the route for other users such as horse riders, etc. to pass safely.
13. Riders are expected not to drop or leave any litter on any part of the route and to dispose of it responsibly at an appropriate place or bin. Any rider found littering will be disqualified from the event.
14. Riders are expected to respect the countryside that the event travels through. It should be remembered that this is both a working landscape and home to many communities. Riders stopping for a comfort break are asked to do so discretely and appropriately and not to cause any offence to local residents or other riders.
15. Riders are expected to close all gates after they pass unless otherwise instructed. Riders must not leave a gate open for a following rider. Gates should be opened and closed and not vaulted. Any rider causing damage to a gate will be liable for any costs to repair said damage.
16. Each participant will be fully responsible for any fees or costs incurred or arising from an accident either involving or caused by the rider. This includes, but is not exclusive to, fees from Police, Air Ambulance, Fire and Rescue and the Ambulance service. If the situation arises that you are not capable of making the decision to call the emergency services, the rider agrees that a member of Rather be Cycling Event Team or a member of the public may call for them. In this situation, the rider still accepts the costs and consequences of such actions.
17. Each participant hereby grants to IPC Media Limited and Rather Be Cycling an exclusive, absolute and irrevocable worldwide assignment in perpetuity in the photographs/film/video/electronic representations and/or sound recordings of the participant obtained at the event and grants to IPC Media Limited and Rather Be Cycling the right to use and publish such content in any and all media. The participant hereby releases IPC Media & Rather Be Cycling from any and all liability from such use and promotion. The participant hereby authorises the reproduction, sale, copyright, exhibit, broadcast, electronic storage and/or distribution of said photographs/film/video tapes/electronic representations and/or sound recordings without limitation at the discretion of IPC Media Ltd & Rather Be Cycling. The participant specifically waives any right to any compensation they may have for appearing in any of the photographs/film/video/electronic representations and/or sound recordings of the participant at an IPC Media Ltd & Rather Be Cycling event.
18. In the event that a participant fails to complete the course for any reason it agrees to return to or call the event centre before the close of the event and report to a member of staff. Not doing so will mean that a search may be organised and the subsequent cost will be billed to the rider.
19. Event entry fees can not be refunded or transferred under any circumstances.